Carbomer Eye Gel is an eye drops used to treat dry eyes. Lifestyle measures are among the first references in the management of dry eyes, for instance:
- Increase blink time when working in front of computer screens or reading
- Decreasing the time of contact lens wear or changing lens solution
- Lessening alcohol intake and avoiding cigarette smoke
- Lowering computer screen below eye level
- Consideration of medicine change that may cause a dry eye syndrome
Eye gels or eye drops are recommended when lifestyle measures failed to improve symptoms.
Carbomer is a gel-based eye drop that has thicker consistency as compared to eye drops. Most Carbomer Eye Gel products are pharmacy-only medications that are not available for self-selection and kept away from the public. Customers need to ask about the product availability if they wish to purchase it. However, this eye drop can be prescribed by a doctor. When it is prescribed by a doctor, it is usually requested as a generic product. This eye gel is usually used 3 to 4 times a day. Always check the product label before using it.
Carbomer Eye Gel Brands Availability
Carbomer is available in pharmacies under different brand names such as:
1. Viscotears Liquid Gel Eye drops
Viscotears contain 0.2% of Carbomer and come as a tube that has 10 g of liquid gel.
- Viscotears Liquid Gel is a pharmacy-only medication.
- This can be used 3 to 4 times a day.
- Patients who use contact lenses must remove them before using the eye gel. Before placing contact lenses back, wait at least 15 minutes.
- These eye gel drops are sterile until open.
- If you use other eye drops, it is important to wait at least 5 minutes between applications. Viscotears must be applied as the last product.
- Once open, Viscotears Liquid Gel eye drops must be used within 28 days.
2. Xailin Eye Gel
- Xailin Gel is a preservative-free Carbomer 0.2% eye gel.
- This is the only eye gel in the UK that comes in the form of a multi-dose10 g tube.
- This eye gel can be used by people who wear contact lenses. However, you still need to remove the eye lenses before applying the gel.
- The recommended dose is one drop applied 2 to 4 times a day as needed.
- Xailin Gel can be used within 28 days once opened.
3. Clinitas Carbomer Eye Drops
- Clinitas Carbomer Eye Drops come as a 10 g tube that contains 0.2% of Carbomer contains preservative cetrimide.
- If you are using contact lenses, reinsert contact lenses 30 minutes after using Carbomer Eye Drops.
- Once opened use within 28 days.
4. GelTears 0.2% Gel
- GelTears 0.2% Gel comes in a 10 g tube containing 0.2% of Carbomer and a preservative benzalkonium chloride.
- Patients must wait around 15 minutes between the applications of other eye drops. This eye gel should be applied last.
- As with other eye drops, the recommended use of this eye gel is 3 to 4 times a day. Also, it is recommended to use GelTears Gel around 30 minutes before going to bed.
- Contact lenses must be removed before application and after 15 minutes they can be re-inserted.